Guide to Taking the Grammar Exam
Testing out of ENGL 1410
Students wishing to test out of ENGL 1410 - Elements of Grammar are required to take a grammar exam.
The grammar exam is administered by the Writing Center through Canvas using Proctorio. The exam may be taken Monday-Friday, during weeks 2-14 of the fall and spring semesters. During the summer semester, the exam is administered by appointment only.
Students are allowed only ONE attempt at the exam.
The exam takes approximately one hour and is completed on a computer. The student may not leave the testing window on their browser until the exam has been completed. No books or notes are allowed during the test. Using the internet is also prohibited.
Before Taking the Exam
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask questions about the exam or schedule a time to take the exam.
- The Writing Center supervisor will give you step-by-step instructions to fill out an online registration form so you can pay the $50.00 fee with the Registrar's Office. When the Registrar's Office posts the fee to your account, pay the fee and make sure you get a receipt.
- The Writing Center supervisor will enroll you in the Canvas course so you can take the exam on your scheduled exam day.
- You are encouraged to purchase a copy of the book English Fundamentals (15th Edition Form A) by Emery, Kierzek and Lindblom. This book should be used for studying and completing practice worksheets.
- Ensure that your cell phone is shut off and away from you and that no books or notes are around you during the exam. Proctorio will track your eye and head movements and will flag any suspicious activity. Proctorio will also block you from opening any internet browser windows on your computer.
- Email the receipt (electronic or paper) from the Registrar’s Office to the Writing Center.
After Completing the Exam
- You will receive your results within three days of completing the exam.
- If you passed, credit for ENGL 1410 will post to Banner. A pass or fail will appear in DegreeWorks.
- A student must score 80% or higher to pass the exam.
- If a student passes the exam, they are not required to take ENGL 1410.
- If a student fails the exam, they are required to take ENGL 1410.
GRAMMAR EXAM STUDY GUIDE
English Fundamentals, 15th Ed Form A by Emery, Kierzek and Lindblom
Parts of Speech
- Noun, pronoun, verb, preposition, adjective, adverb
Subordinate Word GroupsClauses
Pronoun-Antecedent AgreementSingular/Plural & Masculine/Feminine Case
- Comma usage