Guide to Taking the Grammar Exam
Testing out of ENGL 1410
Students wishing to test out of ENGL 1410 - Elements of Grammar - are required to take a grammar exam.
The grammar exam is administered by the Writing Center in RWST 104. The exam may be taken Monday-Friday, between 8:30 AM and 3:30 PM, during weeks 2-14 of the fall and spring semesters. During the summer semester, the exam is administered by appointment only.
Students are allowed ONLY one attempt at the exam.
The exam takes approximately one hour and is completed on a computer. The student may not leave the testing room until the exam has been completed. No books or notes are allowed in the testing room.
Before Taking the Exam
- Call 435-797-2712 to make an appointment to take the exam.
- Pay the $50.00 fee at the Registrar’s Office (TSC 246). Print and fill out this form to give to the clerk with your payment.
- Students are encouraged to purchase a copy of the book English Fundamentals (15th Edition Form A) by Emery, Kierzek and Lindblom. This book should be used for studying and completing practice worksheets.
- Check in with the Writing Center supervisor at the front desk in RWST 104.
- Present the receipt from the Registrar’s Office to the supervisor.
After Completing the Exam
- The Writing Center supervisor will verify that they have the student’s correct phone number and email address. The Writing Center director will use this contact information to inform the student if they passed the exam.
- A student must score 80% or higher to pass the exam.
- The Writing Center director will contact the student and the student’s academic advisor with exam results.
- If a student passes the exam, they are not required to take ENGL 1410.
- If a student fails the exam, they are required to take ENGL 1410.
GRAMMAR EXAM STUDY GUIDE
English Fundamentals, 15th Ed Form A by Emery, Kierzek and Lindblom
Parts of Speech
- Noun, pronoun, verb, preposition, adjective, adverb
Subordinate Word GroupsClauses
Pronoun-Antecedent AgreementSingular/Plural & Masculine/Feminine Case
- Comma usage