About the Writing Center
At the Writing Center, our main goal is to help clients improve their writing skills while gaining confidence in their abilities. We also try to help them become better writers and learn how to write effectively and persuasively for their classes.
As writing tutors, we want to help clients improve their writing not only for one paper, but also for a lifetime. Ultimately, we want them to become independent writers.
Our main center is located in the Ray B. West building, room 104.
What to expect with a face-face appointment
- Make your appointment in advance; be aware that the Writing Center is usually completely full towards the end of the semester.
- Come with a digital or hard copy of your paper, the assignment description, and any questions or concerns you have about your paper. You many also come without a paper if you are in the beginning stages of writing.
- When you get to the Writing Center, tell the supervisor at the front desk when your appointment is. The supervisor will assign you to a tutor.
- You will have about 25 minutes to talk about your paper with your tutor.
- At the end of the appointment, the tutor will send an overview of the session to you and your teacher, confirming your visit to the Writing Center.
What to expect with an online appointment
- Make your appointment at least 48 hours in advance. You will receive a confirmation email with your appointment information and additional instructions.
- Email your paper to your tutor at least 24 hours before your appointment. To contact your tutor, reply directly to your confirmation email. If you do not have a paper to work on, that's OK! Email the tutor to let them know you'd like to brainstorm during your appointment.
- During your session, access your tutor's chat room by clicking on the link found in both your confirmation and reminder emails. Log in with your A# and USU-password.
- You will have 25 minutes to work with your tutor.
- After the appointment, your tutor will email an overview of the session to you and your teacher, confirming your visit to the Writing Center.
- Please review this video if you have any additional questions.