About the Writing Center
At the Writing Center, our main goal is to help clients improve their writing skills while gaining confidence in their abilities. We also try to help them become better writers and learn how to write effectively and persuasively for their classes.
As writing tutors, we want to help clients improve their writing not only for one paper, but also for a lifetime. Ultimately, we want them to become independent writers.
Our main center is located in the Ray B. West building, room 104.
What to expect with a face-face appointment
- Make your appointment a week or so in advance; be aware that the Writing Center is usually completely full towards the end of the semester.
- Come with a digital or hard copy of your paper, the assignment description, and any questions or concerns you have about your paper.
- When you get to the Writing Center, tell the supervisor at the front desk when your appointment is. The supervisor will assign you to a tutor.
- You will have about 25 minutes to talk about your paper with your tutor.
- At the end of the appointment, the tutor will send an overview of the session to you and your teacher, confirming your visit to the Writing Center.
What to expect with an online appointment
- Online appointments need to be made at least two days in advance. When you sign up for an appointment time with a tutor, you will also be asked to upload a draft of your paper for the tutor to read, as well as submit three questions or concerns for the tutor to keep in mind.
- In the two days before your appointment, the tutor will read over your paper and make comments on it.
- Go back to the website and log back in at the time of your appointment.
- Once you're logged in, a chat box will appear and you will chat online with your tutor about your paper for about 25 minutes. You will be able to see your paper with the tutor's comments below the chat box.
- At the end of the appointment, the tutor will send an overview of the session to you and your teacher, confirming the completion of your online visit.